Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen this in several places. Is that a set phrase? What does that mean?

I know that it's a way of saying "Goodnight," but the NASA胃 doesn't make sense.

share|improve this question
Frankly, do you really expect it to make more sense to us with less context than you have? –  Dave Jul 31 '11 at 8:29
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

胃 is read い and NASA reads "なさ" so what this actually says is おやすみなさい ("Good night"). However, I don't know wether this is a typo or an intentional misspelling.

share|improve this answer

I think this is a pun. –  language hacker Jul 30 '11 at 19:58
It's probably an intentional phonetecism. In Osaka-ben, it's common to use や in place of だ. So 「だけど」 often becomes 「やけど」. So sometimes I write 火傷 【やけど】 in the middle of a sentence to show this. Same with 輩 【やから】 for だから. –  istrasci Jul 31 '11 at 5:22

It is obviously a pun (or an incredibly inept non-native typist), and a rather lazy one at that (unless the context really made an association with NASA or stomach matters meaningful). As @Istrasci points out, it is quite common in some circles (let's say urban kansai teenagers) to make up random ateji for common words. I have rarely seen romaji mixed-in but it reeks of a certain lack of imagination (for something that is not incredibly imaginative in the first place). –  Dave Jul 31 '11 at 8:27
Maybe some kind of gyarumoji? –  Karl Knechtel Aug 20 '11 at 18:33
The final shuttle flight before the fleet was retired was around this time. There was some sense that America was no longer the pioneer in space. So, so long NASA. –  Louis Oct 9 '11 at 3:43
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.