Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The context is this tweet:

セットリストに適当!って書いてます。笑

I could understand more easily if は was used instead of に. How does に change the meaning?

Does an inference have to be made here to understand what is appropriate?

share|improve this question

I think you are right, yibe -- you should add this explanation as an answer, not a comment, so folks can vote on it. –  Matt Jul 31 '11 at 3:31

@Matt, Done, thanks! –  yibe Jul 31 '11 at 4:31
add comment

2 Answers

means that the action is being directed at the subject in question. means... well, is defined as a "topic marker", but trying to really define its usage is a whole topic of its own.

Anyway, 適当【てきとう】 in this context means "flippant", and so the speaker is being flippant toward the set list. In English I think the more natural way to say it would be that the speaker is being flippant about the set list.

セットリストは適当 , in this situation, would mean that the set list itself is flippant somehow, but it would be vague about why, who made it that way, and how exactly.

share|improve this answer
add comment

I think this person (maybe a musician) just means:

セットリストに「適当!」って書いてます。笑

I just write 「適当!」("play without a plan!") on a set list. lol

share|improve this answer
Since there is no negative within the quotations in the original Japanese, I think a slightly more accurate translation would be "I just write 「"whatever!」 on a set list. lol" –  Dave M G Aug 1 '11 at 5:57
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.