Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to understand this:

賞品?おそらく!リナちゃん.....私の後ろの笑い声輝くん​がたくさんで黙らせ

The last word, 黙らせ, is confusing. Is this a combination of different forms?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

黙らせる is the causative form of the verb 黙る. See my explanation to your previous question for the meaning of the causative -(s)ase-

damar-u [Original form]
BeQuiet-NonPast

damar-ase-ru [Causative]
BeQuiet-Causative-NonPast

share|improve this answer

You should link to the previous question. Just because these posts are chronologically close doesn't mean someone who only looks at this one will be able to find the other one. –  istrasci Jul 28 '11 at 19:59

Why does it end in あせ and not あせる? –  language hacker Jul 28 '11 at 20:08
Can't it be something like "voices are ringing out behind me, but as there are a lot, I want them to shut up"? That would be 黙らせたい, with the tweet-length cut :) Though I don't know if 声が輝く. –  Axioplase Jul 29 '11 at 1:27
@sawa: Agreed that language hacker needs to be more careful to post relevant questions. However, with much respect and appreciation for the fact that you are helping generate traffic and helpful answers on the site, you could do a lot to stop language hacker from posting irrelevant tweets by not rushing to answer every time he posts. You seem to try to answer no matter what the quality of his question, and the presence of your answer gives more validity than it deserves. This question should have been ignored. Please consider that always responding might encourage more poor questions. –  Dave M G Jul 29 '11 at 1:52
@Dave_M_G Okay. I understand. –  user458 Jul 29 '11 at 1:58

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.