Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's the difference between ◯◯掃除 and ◯◯掃除?

Trying to understand the following, which using "に"

引き続き執筆。合間のリフレッシュ掃除

share|improve this question

@Dave Sorry. I edited the title. I tried to make it better. It was even worse. Please see the edit history if that makes any difference to your consideration. –  sawa Jul 28 '11 at 16:55
It would be amazing what you would learn if you just opened ANY beginner Japanese textbook instead of "language hacking" using Twitter. –  phirru Jul 28 '11 at 17:47
My question was fine the way it was. I'm going to fix it and then select a best answer before someone else can mess it up again. Thanks sawa (rolls eyes) –  language hacker Jul 28 '11 at 18:47
@language hacker: Rushing to accept an answer so as to protect a question is indicative of a complete misuse of the site and a misunderstanding of its purpose. Any question that requires such behaviour is clearly flawed, as any normal question should be able to sit indefinitely until the right answer comes along. –  Dave M G Jul 29 '11 at 1:36
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I suppose you meant 掃除する.

In 部屋を掃除する, 部屋 is the object to be cleaned.

There can be sources of a ...に phrase that are not directly relevant to this predicate:

• Time: 3時に掃除する
  • The subject of a causative: その人に掃除させる
  • An adverbial phrase expressing the purpose (can be translated as 'as'): 気晴らしに掃除する
share|improve this answer

I saw this: 引き続き執筆。合間のリフレッシュに掃除♪( ´▽`) –  language hacker Jul 28 '11 at 14:23

@langauge_hacker The context you gave was insufficient. I changed the answer. Your example with リフレッシュ is the last one. –  sawa Jul 28 '11 at 14:28

So Aに掃除する is the same thing as Aのために掃除する? –  language hacker Jul 28 '11 at 14:30
@langauge_hacker In this particular context, they are almost the same. –  sawa Jul 28 '11 at 14:31
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.