Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When asking, "which is better," in Japanese, I could write どっちがマシ?

However マシ has a negative connotation, implying that even though something is better it's still undesirable.

What's a word like マシ that I could use when asking "which is better?" that doesn't have this negative connotation?

share|improve this question

どちがまし doesn't mean "which one is better", but "which one is the least worse?". Anyway, @Sawa already answered. –  Axioplase Jul 28 '11 at 3:03

@Axioplase I think the English comparison covers all the cases, so it is okay to say that the Japanese expression translates to "which one is better", but when you translate that into Japanese, you have to use different translation depending on whether the comparison is within the good domain or the bad domain. –  sawa Jul 28 '11 at 14:44
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 6 down vote accepted

You can say

どちらがよい?
どっちがいい? [Colloquial]

without negative connotation. Or, if you want to imply that both are good, and want to ask Which is even better?

どちらがよりよい?
どっちがよりいい? [Colloquial]

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.