Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to figure out what "こと” is referring to in this idiom/grammar point.

In the following example sentence:

彼は若いころから日本に住んでいただけのことはあって、さすが日本語がうまいんだね。

What does koto refer to here?

Additionally, is this perfectly interchangeable with だけあって

Compare the following 2 sentences

彼は若いころから日本に住んでいただけのことはあって、さすが日本語がうまいんだね。
彼は若いころから日本に住んでいただけあって、さすが日本語がうまいんだね。

Are these different? If so, why?

share|improve this question

possible duplicate of Shouldn't this phrase using 【だけのこと】 mean "just for that"? –  user458 Jul 27 '11 at 16:57

@sawa That question was incredibly helpful in understanding the overall meaning (especially the "だけ" aspect) however I couldn't seem to find any good reason as to why こと has been thrown haphazardly into the mix. I tried to differentiate this question by focusing on こと and contrasting between both だけのことはあって and だけあって. –  phirru Jul 27 '11 at 17:04

I see. That may make a point. –  user458 Jul 27 '11 at 17:14

2 Answers 2

I think こと just refers to the general situation, and does not refer to some particular thing. A close English analogue may be the case as in It is the case that he was living in Japan. Your two sentences with and without こと are interchangeable.

share|improve this answer

It doesn't refer to anything. Again, it's just two grammar points:

• だけのことはある is surely because ~; not surprising that ~; It was worth ~

• だけあって because, as expected (used for positive things)

Examples:

毎日訓練してるだけあって上達した。

As expected after a while of daily training, he improved a lot.

さすがにばかと呼ばれるだけのことはある。

He's not called an idiot for no reason indeed !

share|improve this answer

I'm not sure how helpful of an explanation "they're grammar points" is... I'm sure there is an explanation for this expression aside from tautology. –  rintaun Jul 28 '11 at 3:23

Well, I mean that there is no use in trying to do a fine grain analysis of each word, considering the meaning comes from taking groups of words. A bit like wondering what "far" is to understand the difference between "as I understand it" and "as far as I understand it". Also, it's a tautology for you know that they are two points, but it seems to me that phirru did not. –  Axioplase Jul 28 '11 at 4:41

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.