Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen this phrase a couple of times but couldn't read the Kanji so I don't remember it.

Otherwise, what phrase would be good to include in the last slide to imply "Thanks for listening!"?

For example, after giving a presentation about project that you are working on, after finishing talking at a seminar.

share|improve this question

Err, that is an extremely vague question. Power point by whom? marketing guys? scientists? teachers? I'm afraid this is not really a good question… –  Axioplase Jul 27 '11 at 12:37

Axioplase’s comment refers to revision 1 of the question. The question after the edit (revision 2) seems ok. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jul 27 '11 at 14:11

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

I think the most common one around is ご清聴ありがとうございました.

share|improve this answer

Yep, I think that is the one. –  wallyqs Jul 27 '11 at 14:10
Beat me to it! ;). Note that the reading is せいちょう. However, there is another せいちょう that means nearly the same thing: 静聴. While 静聴 simply means "quietly listening", 清澄 has more of a respectful nuance to it. –  istrasci Jul 27 '11 at 14:30

@sawa, If I use 0% full page zooming, your text is jarbled. If I use 10% full page zooming, your text is normal Japanese.... Weird, huh? –  千里ちゃん Jul 27 '11 at 16:21

@op, you can say ~てくれてありがとう, generally, to thank people for favors they have done for you. ~て represents a て-form verb. In this case, 聞いてくれてありがとう could be okay, but ご清聴ありがとうございました is better. せいちょう means "attention" and the ご which precedes it is honorific language. I think you sound like Golem from Lord of the Rings if you fail to use honorific language when it is necessary. Anyway, noun+ありがとう means, 'thanks for that'. You would be saying, in an unGolemlike way: 'Thank you for your attention.' –  千里ちゃん Jul 27 '11 at 16:22

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.