Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've heard people using あした (the common one) and あす (rather uncommon) to refer to "tomorrow".

I was wondering does anyone actually uses the reading みょうにち ?

share|improve this question
Wow, that sounds so cool. You should use it. –  千里ちゃん Jul 27 '11 at 6:53

I don't think this really answers your question in the spirit that you asked it, but my answer is "yes, some people do." Because I'm now using it. Because I saw this question. :) –  Questioner Sep 29 '13 at 12:03

3 Answers 3

up vote 7 down vote accepted

I have heard it used in formal (e.g. business) contexts. I have never heard it used in casual conversations among friends or family.

This is what you might expect, because Sino-Japanese words like みょうにち do tend to have a more formal feel than native Japanese words like あした or あす, when they exist alongside each other with similar meanings.

share|improve this answer

Sometimes old people do. I don't know why, but maybe they feel uncomfortable with 熟字訓読み as in あした or あす, where the portion of the pronounciation of a word does not match each kanji character.

In some parts of Tohoku, the greeting "おやすみなさい" or "また明日" is said "おみょうにづ", with is a deformation from "おみょうにち". Even though it refers to the next day, I think that "お" is the same one as in "お早う".

I can't remember whether "あした" is casually said "みょうにづ" though…

Great info. Thank you. Is it just Tohoku? –  千里ちゃん Jul 27 '11 at 6:53

I don't know any other dialect, so I can't answer that. –  Axioplase Jul 27 '11 at 7:14

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.