Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

my dictionary shows both 随分 and なかなか (with positive verb) as "very/considerably"

I was wondering is it true that 随分 is of a higher degree than なかなか?

Like あんたなかなか勇敢だな。= 75%

and あんた随分勇敢だな。 = 85%?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 8 down vote accepted

Yes. なかなか means mildly, moderately. The origin is 中中, 'middle-middle'. It is lower in degree than 随分.

Below is slightly technical.

Elaborating on rintaun's point, なかなか has another usage: used with a negative expression. There are words that can be only used within negative environments (and some other environments, subsumed under what are technically called downward entailment environments).

決して 食べない [Japanese example]
全然 食べない [Japanese example]
おかず しか 食べない [Japanese example]
He does not study at all [English example]
I am not paying a red cent [English example]

Sometimes, a word can be used either under this usage or under a different usage:

He cannot eat any-thing. [Negative usage]
He can eat any-thing. [Different usage]

Depending on the usage, the scale differs. なかなか is an instance of such word. It has a usage that requires a negative environment.

彼は なかなか 食べない [Negative usage]
彼は なかなか よく食べる [Different usage]

In this negative usage, the degree of なかなか is stronger.

share|improve this answer

heys cool =D btw i've edited the sentence, are they acceptable now? –  Pacerier Jul 26 '11 at 21:08

@Pacerier Now it's perfect. –  sawa Jul 26 '11 at 21:09

actually instead of 勇敢 i wanted to use 勇ましい because i thought 勇敢 was ungrammatical.. is it more common to say あんたなかなか勇敢だな or あんたなかなか勇ましいだな ? –  Pacerier Jul 26 '11 at 21:12
I'm just nitpicking now, but the modern colloquial usage of ぜんぜん in positive environments may be worth noting as well (e.g. ぜんぜん大丈夫 as "just fine"). –  rintaun Jul 26 '11 at 23:35
@rintaun I knew someone is going to say that. But that is really controversial. I personally hate it. It sounds like either you are trying to look young, or are uneducated. Probably attracting the reader's attention to your comment is sufficient, so I will just upvote your comment. –  sawa Jul 26 '11 at 23:41
show 3 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.