Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I find this all over the net, but can't find it defined anywhere.

I'm trying to understand this tweet:

じゃあ二周目は是非モノマネで♪( ´▽`)RT @mimiroll_410: @mao_sid 今友達とカラオケに入ってるシドの曲を五十音順に全部制覇しようとしてます!(笑)ちなみに今は土曜日の女です\(^O^)/

What does the first sentence say?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

目 is used as an ordinal suffix. It's the difference between "2 weeks" and (like in this case) "the 2nd week".

Edit: Sorry for failing so blatantly. :( Updated answer, now with less obvious errors!:

So in this case, Mao is suggesting that "the second round " be Sid impersonations (the first "round" is singing all the Sid songs in the Karaoke machine in alphabetical order).

share|improve this answer

Wrong しゅう; you're thinking 週. –  istrasci Jul 24 '11 at 19:10

With the full word being 「第二周目」, same as other ordinals, e.g. 「第一番目」 -> "first"/"foremost". –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jul 24 '11 at 19:11

I added the context. –  language hacker Jul 24 '11 at 19:16

@Ignacio - can you site an example?? I've never heard of those being used interchangeably. –  istrasci Jul 24 '11 at 19:16
"Doing all Sid songs in (Japanese) alphabetical-order" (The Japanese 50-sound-order; not 50 songs). –  istrasci Jul 24 '11 at 19:29
show 3 more comments

Needs more context. ~周 means "(a) round" or a "cycle" or a "revolution". So if you're talking about a race (horse, car, etc.) it would be the 2nd lap. Since a "cycle" of a business, establishment, etc. is usually a year (the length of one revolution around the sun), it can also mean 2nd year the place has been open for operation. Or just at iteration number of some regular event; the 2nd times it's happened.

EDIT: I'd say the first sentence says, "OK, round 2 will be impersonations (of people)."

share|improve this answer

I added the context to the question. –  language hacker Jul 24 '11 at 19:21
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.