Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The "Lonely Planet Tokyo" iPhone app describes female sword fighting as a bygone form of male entertainment:

Surprisingly, striptease almost failed to catch on due to the popularity of a rival form of risqué entertainment, namely female sword fighting (to modern ears, the idea of scantily clad jousting females might sound a bit strange, but at the time it was the height of erotic entertainment).

Is there a Japanese term that refers to this phenomenon, as opposed to legitimate fighters who just happen to be female?

I tried googling and had no luck, but I heard from "worst jobs in history" that it was a form of entertainment in the United Kingdom.

share|improve this question

Link? Is this specific to Japanese culture? Otherwise I'm not sure you'll get a good answer. –  Amanda S Jul 23 '11 at 10:00

@Amanda S: It's from an iPhone app, rather than the internet. If you use Google with "lonely planet female sword fighting" (no quotes), you come across a result from Google Books, though. –  Andrew Grimm Jul 23 '11 at 10:21
add comment

1 Answer

Perhaps 女剣劇? It was apparently popular in the early Showa period; does that correspond to "at the time" in the part you quote?

(How I found this: I figured that it would probably be a word for sword-fighting with "female" attached as a modifier, so that the first two characters had a good chance of being "女剣". When I searched for that combination, I found 女剣劇.)

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.