Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As in "some one who plays video games". Could I just use ゲーマー?

share|improve this question
And for game freaks/geeks/addicts ゲームオタク –  Gerard Sexton Jul 21 '11 at 13:40
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 9 down vote accepted

As rintaun says, ゲーマー is the most general term for "some one who plays video games".

In its narrower sense, when describing a person, it can mean a "hardcore gamer" as opposed to just ゲーム好き (げーむずき, casual gamer). For example, if someone wants to say she's just a casual gamer, she might say things like ゲーム好きだけど、ゲーマーじゃありません。

If you need to differentiate between different gamer types, there are terms that roughly corresponds to the english ones.

• ライトゲーマー: casual gamer
  • ミドルゲーマー: mid-core gamer
  • ヘビーゲーマー: hardcore gamer
  • コアゲーマー: especially avid fans among mid-core gamers

(From Wikipedia articles: ゲーマー and Gamer)

share|improve this answer

I just wanted to further add that I bought the Gerard Butler film 'Gamer' (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamer_%28film%29) on DVD and it also used the spelling ゲーマー on the box. –  atheistwithrum Jan 30 at 22:55
add comment

That's correct. ゲーマー is the word that is generally used.

share|improve this answer

And for plural, add たち? –  Amplify91 Jul 21 '11 at 17:50
For multiple gamers, just ゲーマー will work. たち actually makes it refer to the/a group of gamers specifically. –  rintaun Jul 21 '11 at 17:56

Thanks for your help! –  Amplify91 Jul 21 '11 at 18:44
For plural, you can try adding ズ (ゲーマーズ), but it'd turn into a merchandise shop instead! –  syockit Jul 23 '11 at 10:34
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.