Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Related: Dissecting つく verbs

There are many verbs which are pronounced つく, and I was simply wondering: Do their intonation patterns differ?

If so, what are the intonation patterns of the most common forms of つく in Tokyo dialect?

Common: 付く、着く、吐く、突く

share|improve this question

I pronounce all of them as High-Low, but this may be either the Nagoya dialect or the Tokyo dialect. Someone should be able to answer more clearly and definitely. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jul 20 '11 at 12:29

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The NHK pronunciation dictionary prescribes that:

1. 付く, 着く, (羽根を)撞く, (職に)就く, (嘘を)吐く, (位に)即く, (明かりが)点く, and (餅を)搗く all have the accent on the first or second mora (with first preferred: HL)
  2. 突く has no accent (so in isolation it is LH, but note that this is not the same as accent-on-the-second-mora LH when other words follow)

Hope this helps!

share|improve this answer

Is this book the one you're referencing? –  rintaun Jul 21 '11 at 1:06

Sort of. Yes, it's the NHK 編 日本語発音アクセント辞典, but I have an edition published in 1985 with a blue-and-gray cover that claims to be a 改訂新版. –  Matt Jul 21 '11 at 1:42

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.