Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

At first I thought ギャ meant girl, but after doing some googling, that doesn't appear to be what it is. What is シドギャ?

シドギャ is related to the band シド, the most popular Visual Kei rock band in Japan for all of you who don't know.

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

シドギャ is short for シドギャル, so ギャ is indeed "girl." シドギャ refers to (usually female) fans of シド (SID). A similar word is バンギャ (likewise short for バンギャル), which refers to (again usually female) fans of visual kei bands.

share|improve this answer

Then what does this say? 夫婦揃ってシドギャな僕たちの赤ちゃんがもうすぐ生まれてきます。なにか一言いただけたら幸いです・・・! –  language hacker Jul 20 '11 at 1:18
@languagehacker: A rough translation would be, "My [wife/husband] and I, both fans of SID, will soon have our baby. It would be wonderful if we got just a comment! [probably from SID?]" I assume it is the husband writing this because of the use of 僕, but this isn't necessarily true. シドギャ here is being used for fans of SID in general, rather than just girls as was its origin. Also, please ask the question you want the answer to from now on. –  rintaun Jul 20 '11 at 1:28

That link doesn't go anywhere. –  language hacker Jul 20 '11 at 2:07
You've uncovered a URL bug in the StackExchange software. –  hippietrail Jul 20 '11 at 8:29
show 2 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.