Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have found a kanji in a manga I am attempting to read, that looks like this:
Kanji character
I have tried to find it in numerous dictionaries, and multiple different methods. I know the third section is a radical, but the first isn't, and searching the third on it's own at WWWJDIC returns many results, but none of them are this one. Skip code has also been unfruitful. Handwriting has been challenging, because I'm not 100% certain on the order.

A friend suggested that it may be a kanji that is out of use, but used because the manga author thinks it's cool. I doubt it's slang, though, due to the context of being a formal statement.

Edit: The context is: 我輩はノイ=クレザント(?)騎士である where the (?) is the character. It was written vertically.

I have stated the question as "How do I look up this kanji?" because I suspect I may get into this situation again.

Edit: The answer I have marked as correct actually contains the answer in the comments, so I've written it up here. It is actually a Google Chrome character font problem. The character did really appear in the dictionaries, but I couldn't recognise it because it was displayed incorrectly (Chinese instead of Japanese). Chrome doesn't check all the fonts on your computer like IE or FF, so I changed the standard fonts and it worked.

share|improve this question
Kanji experts, would you say it is 13 strokes? –  Nicolas Raoul Jul 19 '11 at 3:09
Can't find this kanji in Gjiten's list of 13 strokes kanjis. –  Nicolas Raoul Jul 19 '11 at 3:12
This is not how, but that kanji is 卿, read as きょう or けい. It is still in use! –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jul 19 '11 at 3:16
It may be helpful to know the context of the kanji as well... –  mletterle Jul 19 '11 at 3:22
Stroke order for those interested: kakijun.main.jp/page/kei10200.html –  Nicolas Raoul Jul 19 '11 at 9:28
show 5 more comments

2 Answers

up vote 14 down vote accepted

This character is pronounced 'kyoo' or 'kee'. It is the name of a highly-ranked title:

Actually, you have correctly identified that the third section is a radical. Very Good. In this case, it is called ふしづくり. The character is actually listed under this radical: look here. So, don't give up. Try just a little bit harder.

Since you do not seem to have the necessary font installed on your system, I am adding a graphic capture of the character from the wikipedia page that I linked:


By the way, this notification on the up right portion of the wikipedia page:

enter image description here

is telling that the character may not be showing up correctly if you do not have the particular setting. So, whenever you see it, you might want to suspect if you are actually seeing the right thing.

share|improve this answer
So how come it looks different? Two of the middle strokes are in a different place, and the top middle stroke is missing. –  AlbeyAmakiir Jul 19 '11 at 3:22
@AlbeyAmakiir You may not have the right font installed in order to see this correctly. –  sawa Jul 19 '11 at 3:28
@AlbeyAmakir If it displays differently, then you do not have the font. In some font encoding, similar characters are often subsumed under a single character. The differences between Mainland Chinese, Hong Kong Cantonese, Taiwanese Mandrin, Korean, and Japanese are sometimes ignored. –  sawa Jul 19 '11 at 3:54
@AlbeyAmakiir: Are you running Chrome, by any chance? Chrome is notorious for using Chinese glyphs (which can have slightly different stroke counts) in place of Japanese glyphs. Try accessing the Wikipedia page with a different browser, or force Chrome to display pages in a Japanese font, and see if that changes anything. –  Derek Schaab Jul 19 '11 at 17:44
@Pacerier: In Chrome, you have to change the global font setting to a font that uses Japanese-specific glyphs (such as Microsoft PMincho or PGothic, or Meiryo). Unlike Firefox, Chrome does not (yet) allow you to specify per-language fonts. –  Derek Schaab Jul 20 '11 at 12:17
show 10 more comments

It looks like a cross between


http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E5%96%9E (喞)



http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E5%8D%BF (卿)

I love the jisho.org kanji by radical lookup: http://jisho.org/kanji/radicals/

share|improve this answer
Both the links point to the same one. But I know which ones you mean. I forgot to mention that I found those two already. Am I asking the wrong question? Is a cross between kanji a real thing that happens? –  AlbeyAmakiir Jul 19 '11 at 3:17
Fixed the link. I'm not sure, but it is telling that the middle radical in both based on 艮. So if you take the form in the first link and pop it in the second link you end up with the kanji in question. Best explanation I have so far.... looking forward to reading some of the follow ups on this one. :) –  mletterle Jul 19 '11 at 3:20
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.