Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Hi all is it true that と言っても and とは言え is the same thing except that と言っても is for spoken clauses whereas と言いえ is for written clauses?

share|improve this question

The fragment you give is too short. Can you show more context? –  sawa Jul 18 '11 at 15:00

ok i've added the links which i had came across which spurred this question –  Pacerier Jul 19 '11 at 4:36

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

According to A Dictionary of Advanced Japanese Grammar, と(は)言っても and とは言え are synonymous and interchangeable without changing the meaning of the sentence. とは言え is used primarily in writing, while と(は)言っても is used in both written and spoken Japanese.

share|improve this answer
btw what is the reason that there is an optional は after the と particle? –  Pacerier Jul 19 '11 at 10:55

@Pacerier Sorry, but I'm honestly not sure of the reason. –  rintaun Jul 19 '11 at 22:26

Certain negations are further emphasized with the inclusion of は. Consider "まちがっていない" vs "まちがってはいない". The meaning is the same but usually by putting は, speaker wants to show contrast with another thing. –  syockit Jul 23 '11 at 10:43

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.