Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm having trouble understanding this rock star's tweet:

たまーに仮歌とか流れてくる笑RT @maoloveai: @mao_sid シド率はどのくらいですか(^0^)?

What is 仮歌?

What does that tweet say?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

口でメロディーを歌うデモテープの場合は適当な言葉をあてがうことが多く、この状態のものを「仮歌」と呼び、仮歌を専門に歌う「仮歌シンガー」と呼ばれる歌手もいる

from wikipedia

So I'm not 100% sure but they are probably talking about some early prototype of a song which still uses some temporary random lyrics for the time being.

share|improve this answer
仮歌 (which I think is read as かりうた but I am not sure) sometimes already has (tentative) lyrics. For example, in this blog, the author says that he did 詞先の作曲 (adding music to lyrics) and talks about recording 仮歌, so the song already has lyrics. I do not know if this usage is common or not, though. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jul 16 '11 at 12:12
This is correct. A singer may request music from a composer with the intent of adding in his/her own lyrics later, and on occasion the demo track will arrive with a temporary vocal track solely for the purpose of showing how the composer imagines the lyrics will fit with the melody. This track is later thrown away after the singer records his/her own vocal track. In English, the closest term is probably "scratch [vocal] track". –  Derek Schaab Jul 16 '11 at 14:26
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.