Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

「けれども」と「けど」と「けれど」はいったいどう違うんですか。「けれども」はテレビ番組でよく使われているが、「けれども」は「けれど」より丁寧ですか。

English translation: What exactly do 「けれども」 and 「けど」 and 「けれど」 mean? They often use 「けれども」 on TV programs, but is 「けれども」 more polite than 「けれど」?

share|improve this question
My understanding is that this site is for English speakers learning Japanese. So while I felt that the original question was in simple enough Japanese to be good practice for learners of a certain level, we shouldn't exclude lower level learners who might also benefit from the question. Thus I edited the question to provide an English translation. I hope that is acceptable. –  Questioner Jul 16 '11 at 3:50

@Dave Sounds good to me –  Ken Li Jul 16 '11 at 5:55

2 Answers 2

けど is short for けれど, and hence, is colloquial and less polite. けれども has 'even' added somewhat redundantly. I don't see clear differences between けれど and けれども. The difference among the three may be parallel to the difference among English though, although, and even though. So if a native English speaker can tell the difference among them, it may be a clue for telling the difference for the Japanese words.

share|improve this answer
The English examples you give here are perfectly interchangeable, just as けれども and its variants are (ignoring politeness levels). Also, けども does pop up occasionally, but the infrequency with which I hear it leads me to believe it is more dialectical than standard. –  Derek Schaab Jul 15 '11 at 23:54

@sawa, @Derek: けど is short for けれど? Really? You guys just blew my mind. I never knew that. I always thought けど was it's own thing, and use it a lot, especially in the form だけど, or ですけど when connecting sentences (as in "this, but that"). Can I say ですけれど? Is だけれど silly because けれど is more formal than だ? –  Questioner Jul 16 '11 at 3:46
@Dave M G: Yes. ですけど, ですけれど, and ですけれども are semantically equivalent, as are だけど, だけれど, and だけれども. The usual rule of "longer = more polite" applies. –  Derek Schaab Jul 16 '11 at 14:31

The difference lies in how polite they are. The longer the word, the more polite it is.

The shorter a word, the more curt and impolite it is.

share|improve this answer
so, "が" is very impolite? –  Axioplase Jul 19 '11 at 1:58
@Axioplase: が, though it can mean the same thing as the けれども series, is a separate construction with only one form, and so it can be used in any (polite/informal/spoken/written) setting. "longer = more polite" applies most of the time, but not all the time. –  Derek Schaab Jul 19 '11 at 13:27
@Derek: yes, I know. I was just cynically commenting the assertion about concision and politeness. –  Axioplase Jul 20 '11 at 1:44

@Axioplase: Ah, I missed the </not-a-real-question> tag there. My bad. :) –  Derek Schaab Jul 20 '11 at 12:20
Actually just putting か at the end of a sentence to turn it into a question is impolite if you don't lengthen it by other things behind it. –  language hacker Jul 21 '11 at 1:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.