Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

"Dame" which means "not good" or "don't do that" is sometimes written in manga as katakana. Is it because katakana is used to express a strong feeling ?

share|improve this question

Related question: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/758/… –  Andrew Grimm Apr 27 '12 at 3:24

5 Answers 5

up vote 20 down vote accepted

Continuing from @sawa's list:

4. To give visual and/or very slight semantic emphasis. Almost like using bold or italics in English.

• それはだめだよ!
  • それはダメだよ!

You can see that the latter stands out more. As for the onomatopoeia, those are often a little emphasized too, so it probably overlaps with reason 2 a good amount.

5. Plant, animal, and mineral names are often written in katakana.

share|improve this answer
Actually, I'm not sure beginners would see why it stands out more, other than that the characters are pointier. In actuality, when you're using to see a word written a certain way, writing it differently makes the reader take notice of it. –  William Jul 14 '11 at 15:41
Remember that the Japanese like indirection and tend to soften strong language. In this case, I think kanji would come across as too terse or 硬い, and hiragana would not stand out enough in the sentence... –  Mike Sickler Jul 14 '11 at 16:56

There are several usages for katakana.

1. To describe (what feels like) Western origin words
  2. To describe onomatopoeia
  3. To describe the fact that it is normally written in kanji, but that it is written without it because either the writer wants to write faster, has no access to the kanji form (as in the case where the writer is given the name in a romanized transcription or the writer just heard the name), forgot the kanji form, or does not want to bother to write in kanji for any other reason.

だめ has the kanji form 駄目, and in this case, the reason is likely 3.

6. Style

7. I think it's sometimes used when it's more like a series of syllables being pronunced, rather than real Japanese. An equivalent in English would be Ginger Megg's mother saying something like "Giiingerrr!" when he's in big trouble. The English language Wikipedia says

Katakana are also sometimes used to indicate words being spoken in a foreign or otherwise unusual accent, by foreign characters, robots, etc. For example, in a manga, the speech of a foreign character or a robot may be represented by コンニチワ konnichiwa ("hello") instead of the more typical hiragana こんにちは

I haven't heard of any examples, apart from reading that McDonald's "Mr James" originally spoke only in katakana.

How do you speak in katakana? –  istrasci Apr 27 '12 at 14:27
@istrasci In the picture in McDonalds Japan’s new creepy “Mr James” burger campaign, featuring katakana-speaking gaijin, there's a speech bubble containing only katakana. I kind of skimmed over the article though. –  Andrew Grimm Apr 27 '12 at 15:06

Oh, speech bubble. Got it! :D –  istrasci Apr 27 '12 at 15:08

Japanese often use katakana for certain Japanese-origin words, when they are difficult to write or imagine in kanji. I guess it's because they sound somewhat like 'foreign' or 'onomatopoeia' to Japanese.

Common examples I can think of are:

滅茶苦茶 as メチャクチャ
御洒落 as オシャレ
出鱈目 as デタラメ
駄洒落 as ダジャレ
辻褄 as ツジツマ
我儘 as ワガママ
馬鹿 as バカ

Of course these are not foreign words, and even elementary school kids understand their meanings. However actually those are so difficult or bothering to write in kanji that it became very common to write them down either in hiragana or katakana, even for adults using word processors. Daring to use kanji looks as if you were an old man.

Whether to use hiragana or katakana is up to the writer's taste. I don't believe it has something to do with emphasizing. Generally, using hiragana tends to give soft, childish, cute or girly impressions, although the nuance is fairly subtle.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.