Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is it more common to read 門 as かど or もん?

e.g. how would we pronounce the 門 in 彼らは門が開くのを待っていた。

share|improve this question
add comment

3 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

When the kanji character 門 is used as a noun in itself (meaning a gate), it is usually read as もん, although it was also read as かど in older time. As other people say, 門 in your example should be read as もん in the modern Japanese.

The most common example of 門 read as かど in the modern Japanese that I can think of is a proverb 笑う門には福来る (わらうかどにはふくきたる). This 門 is read as かど and means a house. The literal meaning of the proverb is “Happiness comes to a home where family is laughing.” Progressive Waei Chū Jiten suggests two translations of this proverb: the more literal one is “Fortune favors cheerful homes,” and the less literal one is “Laugh and grow fat.”

share|improve this answer
add comment

I think that もん is the word you mean, and かど is used mostly (only?) in names.

かど is the more archaic reading, which is why you see it mostly in names: it survives as a historical artifact. When read alone, it's always もん, as in 門を通って右 -> もんをとおってみぎ (take a right after the gate). –  SuperElectric Jul 14 '11 at 15:49
add comment

I think もん is Chinese reading and かど is Japanese reading .

You would found かど is usually used for the Classic Movies

for example...

みかど(mikado)「御門」

かどまつ(kadomatu)「門松」

かどで(kadode)「門出」

かどうき(kadowaki)「門脇」(name)

how would we pronounce the 門 in 彼らは門が開くのを待っていた。 –  Pacerier Jul 14 '11 at 15:04

In above is read as もん –  Scott Jul 14 '11 at 15:18
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.