Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's the difference between 打ち合わせ and 会議 and ミーティング?

To me it seems that 会議 may be more formal, but I'm not entirely sure.

share|improve this question
Though this question has already been answered, if you understand enough Japanese, you can always look up words on Goo's thesaurus to try and get a feel for the differences between synonyms. dictionary.goo.ne.jp/thsrs –  Andrew Prowse Jul 14 '11 at 13:25

should probably add that link to the FAQ/CW then –  Mark Hosang Jul 15 '11 at 1:00

3 Answers 3

up vote 4 down vote accepted

打合せ is more generic. When you go abroad to meet your boss, your colleagues or customers, you'd say 打合せ.

I use ミーティング for when I need to discuss a point with someone. If you're a student and discuss with you advisor once a week, that's it.

会議 is defined as "there's a boring speaker, and everyone around is sleeping" :) That's in fact a conference (even a small one with a handful of people).

share|improve this answer

+1 funny for the last paragraph. –  Andrew Grimm Dec 24 '12 at 0:36

From my experience:

• We use 打ち合わせ about going to a client's place, when talking internally.

• 会議 can be internal or external. 会議中 can be used internally or on the phone with clients.

• We use ミーティング for regular weekly section meetings where everyone tells what s/he is doing and what problems there are.

It might be specific to my company.

For a business meeting: 会議

It basically means: "To meet for deliberations"

It's equivalent to the gairaigo: ミーティング (which I don't like much because there's a widely used Japanese term already)

打ち合わせ is used for meetings of people ”with a common interest". Meeting of a club maybe? As the link explains, it has it origins in Gagaku, where musical instruments need to "hit (taiko) as a unit and fit with the music"

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.