Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

完成前とずいぶん色が違うじゃねぇか!

In this sentence, what is じゃねぇか ?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

じゃねぇか is just a colloquial form of the tag question じゃないか.

share|improve this answer

So じゃ here is not the colloquial of では as it usually is? –  5argon Aug 27 at 12:51
Yes it is! じゃねえか comes from じゃないか, which is the colloquial contraction of ではないか? (in English they would be very similar to: ain't it, isn't it and is it not, respectively) –  comeauch Aug 27 at 12:58
What is derogatory about it? It is plain Kanto colloquial. –  非回答者 Aug 27 at 14:42

Oh... then I stand corrected, thx! –  comeauch Aug 27 at 14:53

Umm, are you still here? If you have time can you explain me why と particle is being used? "Before completion AND the color not extremely differ!" I must be doing this wrong somewhere. (It's a step-by-step artwork article. This is the 5th step, 05 : 完成) –  5argon Aug 27 at 17:14

This doesn't only happen with じゃない > じゃねえ, but generally /ai/ > /ee/, like

きたない > きたねえ
やばい > やべえ
(食{た}べたい = ) 食{く}いたい > 食いてえ

As in the other answer, this is extremely informal and in the wrong context can easily be considered plain rude.

Xと違う = to differ from X
完成前 = before completion

Edit. For completeness, there's also

• /ae/ > /ee/
    e.g. お前 > おめえ
  • /oi/ > /ee/
    e.g. すごい > すげえ
  • /ui/ > /ii/
    e.g. さむい > さみい, まずい > まじい
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.