Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I cannot understand the meaning of 手前 in the following sentence. As far as I know 手前 means "in front of my/your hands" or could be a pronoun. However I haven't seen before the usage like in the sentence below, so could you please explain the meaning.

着物姿の女の子なんて珍しいから、つい眼で追いかけてしまっていた。眼が合って、彼女は口を引き結んで、僕の前で挑みかかる手前な顔をして。

Translation attempt:

"Because it is pretty rare to see a girl wearing kimono, my eyes unintentionally followed her. Our eyes met, she tighten one's jaw and right in front of me..."

~Edited: I think I'm more or less understand the meaning, thanks to Brandon. But I also can't figure out why it's used な here, as if 手前 is na-adjective?

share|improve this question

Cannot say if I have ever seen a "Verb + 手前 + な + Noun" structure before. This sounds very "new" to me. It also sounds highly colloquial if not slangy. In "better" writings, one would use 「のような」 or at least 「の」 instead of 「な」. –  非回答者 Aug 23 at 22:54

I understand the need for this kind of expansionary use of na-adjetive to express something like difference between 女の子の仕草 (behavior of the girl) and 女の子なしぐさ (girly behavior). The most prominent use I've heard in these years is 世界で一番 お ひ め さ ま! (to be most princess-ish in the world). –  user4092 Aug 24 at 3:59

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

手前【てまえ】 has a number of uses; the pronoun being the much rarer case. Here it means "before" as in time.

挑みかかる手前な顔 A face one would make just before initiating a challenge.

My eyes locked onto her; what with a girl dressed in a kimono being far from common. Our eyes met and she pursed her lips and made a face as if to say "bring it on".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.