Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have been wondering this for a while now, but hesitated to ask.

I have been studying jouyou kanji for several years, yet I do not know if there is a general way of how to read a list of kanji out loud. How do Japanese people generally read a single kanji?

Or is it unusual to read a list of kanji out loud, as some kanji on themselves are rather to be understood?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I am not sure if there any traditions or rules regarding kanji lists, but usually when someone refers to a particular kanji it is called by its common use and the word it is in, without separating 訓読み from 音読み.

Some kanjis have no 訓読み at all, some kanjis have a wide list of 音読み so it is very hard to distinguish which kanji are you referring to by calling one of its pronunciations. To solve this problem people refer to a particular usage of a kanji which is made using an example of a commonly known word.

For example:

• referring to 漁 it's said 漁船のギョ
  • referring to 電 it'd said 電気のデン and so on.
share|improve this answer

Thank you, that's true, some kanji only have 音読み reading, thanks for reminding! –  magissa Aug 23 at 4:45

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.