Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

here is the link for the picture (in case it doesn't show up): http://online.mangaraw.net/get/img/174/837.jpg

In the last panel at the bottom of the page, she says "しょ__ -" I'm not quite sure as to what that last character is, including it's use(s) and pronounciation(s).

I have seen this character in various other comics, and I think that it might be a sound effect/ onomatopoeia (?)

please answer if you know anything about this and include as many details as you can, thank you!

share|improve this question
@japanesebeginner -- please ask that as a separate question rather than cluttering the one you already have gotten an answer for. Stackexchange uses a question and answer format meaning it works best when you ask something that can be answered altogether. –  virmaior Aug 26 at 0:32

1 Answer 1

しょわー

I think it's an onomatopoeia of the fizzing sound from soda.

share|improve this answer
I tried looking up しょわー but I couldn't find it. I wonder if there's a dictionary of onomatopoeia with sounds like this learners could use when they're missing from regular dictionaries. –  snailboat Aug 21 at 23:41
The second stroke of 「わ」 「ね」 and 「れ」 is sometimes simplified like this, and it looks childish or cute. A few handwritten fonts like this one have similar glyphs. –  naruto Aug 22 at 1:10

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.