Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Okay,first off:I am not really someone who studies japanese or is a native speaker but I am doing karate1 for some years and I hear some words or phrases here and there.There is one common saying from Shoshin Nagamine:

Once when asked for a brief definition of a good Karate person, Osensei Shoshin Nagamine replied: Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart.

This is mostly abbreviated with Kisshu fushin.As per online tools,there are no translations available that would explain this. As far as I can see, "Oni te hotoke kokoro" would pretty much mean "Demon with the spirit of a saint"(as I know that Onis are some sort of japanese demons and the rest of it got translated to somewhat related things).But what does Kisshu fushin stand for?

Plus:explaining the whole sentence would be very nice ;)

1) I hope that you are not tired of explaining language to some ordinary karateguy :D

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

"Kishu busshin" and "Oni te hotoke kokoro" mean the same thing. The first uses Sino-Japanese pronunciations which might be hard to understand if you're hearing the word for the first time. The second uses native Japanese pronunciations, which would be easier to understand for a Japanese speaker. It would be like saying some complicated word formed from Latin roots and then explaining its etymology in everyday English.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.