Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

From a quick google search, they both refer to friend.

Are they completely identical or is there any difference between [友達]{とも・だち} and [友人]{ゆう・じん}?

share|improve this question

there was an interesting discussion about this question in the jisho forum. A lot of the answers seem to conflict with each other though... –  Olumide Aug 20 at 14:55
友人 is more formal. Nothing to back this up, but my sense is that it also can be a more distant relationship. –  torazaburo Aug 20 at 17:14

2 Answers 2

It's just that 友人 is more formal than 友達. I don't feel there is any difference in what they refer to.

For example, saying 「友人が会社を経営していまして。。。」 in a job interview would sound natural, but saying「友達が会社を経営していまして。。。」 sounds a bit childish. Conversely, 「ずっと友人でいような!」is weird but 「ずっと友達でいような!」 is natural.

share|improve this answer

友人 is more formal than 友達.

I think this formality results in the side effect of it suggesting a closer friendship, because one would usually not refer to someone as a friend in Japanese in a serious conversation if they were not close, in my opinion.

So no, they are not identical — there are situations where one makes more sense to use than the other — but as far as understanding goes, I don't think it really matter if you ignore that specific nuance.

share|improve this answer

I've added the phrase "in Japanese" into your first paragraph, I hope that doesn't misunderstand the sense of what you were trying to say. –  virmaior Aug 21 at 0:35

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.