Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have never actually seen the words for almost used in Japanese. Below are the various translations for "Almost" that I came accross:

「大方」

「粗」

「九分」

「殆」

「もう少しで」

Could you please highlight which should I use in those generic contexts? And also how to use them?

• I almost fell down
  • I pray almost every day
  • Almost all the gold is gone (to contrast with "Most of the gold is gone")
share|improve this question

You know there's a corpus attached to most dictionaries that can give example sentences? For instance, jisho.org/sentences?jap=%E4%B9%9D%E5%88%86&eng= and jisho.org/sentences?jap=%E6%AE%86&eng= (though for the second generally ほとんど in contemporary Japanese writing). –  virmaior Aug 20 at 12:16

If you want to say "almost" as a single word statement, you could say "おしい". You can't use it as an adjective in a larger sentence. What was "almost" would have to be inferred by the context surrounding such a one word sentence. I think I've observed that, in a slang type of conversation, usage of "おしい" is not uncommon. –  user312440 Aug 20 at 17:28

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

There is no one particular Japanese word that you can use everytime you want to use "almost" in English contexts.

"I almost fell down." = 「もう[少]{すこ}しで[転]{ころ}ぶところだった。」

That would be by far the most natural Japanese sentence. Native speakers would almost never say 「ほとんど転んだ。」 unless they were trying to sound humorous. You, as a learner, could end up arriving at that if you tried to "directly translate" the English sentence "I almost fell down."

"I pray almost every day." = 「ほとんど(or ほぼ)[毎日]{まいにち}お[祈]{いの}り(を)します。」

With this one (and the next one), you could use ほとんど/ほぼ like you would use "almost" in English.

"Almost all the gold is gone." = 「ほとんど(or ほぼ)[全]{すべ}ての[金]{きん}がなくなってしまった(or simply なくなった)。」

share|improve this answer

Great, I always felt that ほとんど was not natural in all situations. BTW, do we have to write like this: [全]{すべ} for the spelling? There is no furigana feature here? –  Aki Aug 20 at 14:33

Similar to the relationship between だけ and しか, you could also use [危]{あや}うく or [辛]{かろ}うじて with the negation/opposite of what you are trying to say. Since these words mean "barely", the negation/opposite of the premise would translate together as "almost".

例文:

• 危うく終電に間にあった。 → I barely caught the last train home. → implies "I almost missed the last train home".
  • 辛うじて試験に合格する → To barely pass the test → implies "to almost fail the test"

危うく can also carry the direct meaning of "almost", and be used similar to もう少しで.

• 危うく[梯子]{はし・ご}から落ちるところだった。 → I nearly fell off of the ladder.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.