Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

One of my friends is translating some stuff, and he told me he needs "A second opinion for this one since he's having troubles to identify the first one".

I know the second one is だ, but I really can't identify the first one. I belived for a second it was Katakana, but I've checked both of my basic tables (my japanese is extremely basic, worse than my english though) and I really can't find it.

I've tried to search words that ends with だ, but that would be extremely slow, so I wanted to ask you guys, is this a Kanji? If so, which one? Is the first one a kanji?

Thanks in advance!

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

This is actually two words: one consisting of two characters in katakana (ダメ) and the other is in hiragana (だ) - together ダメだ. だめ is often written using katakana as ダメ.

The meaning depends on the context but could be "don't do it", "no", "it's not good", "you should not do it", "that's wrong".

share|improve this answer
I linked my friend this and he said it the translate now makes sense. Thank you very much! –  TotalNoob Aug 10 at 4:15

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.