Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am currently doing research on automatic case frame (格フレーム) acquisition and its applications. A case frame describes the syntactic structure of a predicate by providing a canonical representation of its syntactic structure (also known as 文型). Traditionally, 文型 contain only non-complex case-marker (e.g. が, を, に, で), however, for some applications in computational linguistics, we are also interested in complex case-markers (複合格助詞) such as 〜として, 〜に関して, 〜をめぐって, 〜とともに, and so on.

Do you know of any comprehensive study on 複合格助詞? Is there a list of most frequent 複合格助詞?

At the moment, the best I have is the list given in 『現代日本語文法 第3部格と構文』 but it lacks some common 複合格助詞 (e.g. をめぐって).

[EDIT] Thanks to @snailboat I also got the list proposed by Samuel Martin in Reference Grammar of Japanese (about 200 phrasal postpositions). As the author noted:

(...) it is difficult to give clear criteria for what is, and what is not, a phrasal postposition.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Samuel Martin calls these phrasal postpositions in his 1975 Reference Grammar of Japanese. Starting on page 577 he produces a list of over 200 of these, giving literary and modern forms where applicable, marking whether は or も can be inserted between the elements, whether a polite version is available (as in につきまして for について), and so on. Although you're unlikely to be satisfied that this list is complete, it could make a good starting point.

share|improve this answer

thanks for the pointer! I checked on Google Books but unfortunately pages 577-- are not available. I am gonna have to wait a little bit 'til I can go to my university's library... or is the list available elsewhere? –  Pierre Aug 2 at 22:09

btw 寺村秀夫 (in シンタクスと意味) uses the term 「格助詞句」. which seems to match Martin's "phrasal postposition"... –  Pierre Aug 2 at 22:14

MUST1 project annotates compound functional expressions (CFE) in a newswire corpus. Although it requires the non-free 毎日新聞(1995年版CD-ROM) corpus, one can extract CFE from the *.xml files located in MUST-dist-1.0/core.

All these CFE do not correspond to 複合格助詞, yet the resource is worth a look.

Project home page: http://nlp.iit.tsukuba.ac.jp/must/

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.