Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm wondering how to express a very mild preference towards an option when being offered several choices in a conversation (e.g. when arranging a meeting time with a colleague).

I am familiar with the expressions .. ほうがいいです and .. がすきです, but both feel stronger than what I want to say.

Essentially I'm trying to complete this sentence with something natural-sounding: どちらでもいいですが、Xのほうが...??。

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 6 down vote accepted

a very mild preference

How about using どちらかと言えば、どちらかと言うと、[強]{し}いて言えば、強いて言うと etc. as in

どちらでも大丈夫なんですが、どちらかと言うと、~~のほうがいいです。
どちらでも大丈夫なんですが、どちらかと言えば、~~のほうが[嬉]{うれ}しいです。/ありがたいです。
どちらでもいいんですが、[強]{し}いて言えば、~~のほうが・・・。

share|improve this answer
Apart from できれば,aren't these suggestions to some extent telling the OP how to express his preference more politely (or tentatively) rather then as a "mild preference", which I took to mean as a weak preference (51% vs 90%). I think they want to express this in more neutral or casual Japanese. –  Tim Aug 2 at 3:24
@Tim ああ、そうか~わかりました、直してみます。 –  Choko Aug 2 at 3:26

There are many ways but you want to be clear so perhaps the easiest is to use a different adjective to いい such as 便利. "Either is fine but X would be more convenient." If you can give the reason even better.

How about something like

さぁ、コーヒーかな。

Maybe it's a bit informal? –  Wenzel Jakob Aug 7 at 8:26

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.