Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am organizing an event and posted a flyer on a famous SNS.

Someone commented on it saying: イベント立てちゃいなよ

From the context I guess it is advising me to create an event (SNS feature), am I mistaken?

QUESTION: What are the different grammatical parts in 立てちゃいなよ ?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

立てちゃいなよ is the contracted form of 立ててしまいなよ. Another, mascline, contraction is 立てちまいなよ. The components of 立ててしまいなよ are:

tate-te (verb in a certain form) simaw- (another verb) -i- (epenthetic vowel) na (affix) yo (sentence-final particle)

• 'Tate-' usually means 'to stand something up' or 'establish', but is used slangishly in this context 'to initiate'.

• 'Simaw-' as a main verb means 'to pack something up and put it away', but here, it is used with an auxiliary meaning that derives from that, namely 'to have something done', often, but not necessarily, with the connotation of 'without much consideration' or 'with a negative result'.

ケーキを食べた 'I ate the cake.'

ケーキを食べてしまった 'I ate up the cake without much consideration.'

• 'I' is a vowel that is inserted by default in order to avoid consecutive consonants that are not allowed in Japanese phonology.

• This usage of 'na' means suggestion, and unlike imperatives, it is suggested from the viewpoint of the sake of the addressee. To take some forms that Derek mentions for comparison:

ケーキを食べろ/食べなさい 'Eat the cake!' [Neutral about for whose sake or what reason]

ケーキを食べな 'I suggest you eat the cake (for your own sake)'

ケーキを食べて(ほしい) 'I want you to eat the cake (for my sake)'

• 'Yo' is called a sentence-final partical, often contrasted with 'ne'.

'Yo' is used to tell/suggest something that the addressee is not expected to have in mind.

'Ne' is used to say something that the addressee is expected to know and agree with the addressor.

ケーキを食べたよ 'You know what? I ate the cake.'

ケーキを食べたね 'You ate the cake, didn't you?'

So the sentence イベント立てちゃいなよ means, 'I suggest that you just start out an event without worrying much about its outcomes'.

share|improve this answer

Slightly less informally, we have:

イベント立てちゃってね

The 立てちゃって of course comes from 立てちゃう, a spoken version of 立ててしまう, so I'm guessing the な in 立てちゃいな is what's confusing. Unlike the prohibition な, which attaches to the dictionary form of the verb (するな, 食べるな), this な attaches to the ます stem to form an informal command. It's friendlier than the blunt しろ-type of command (食べろ, 行け, etc), but it's only appropriate for informal situations (which is why I substituted with the ~てね command form). You often find it with the emphatic よ tacked onto the end. Some more examples:

早く行きなよ(≈行きなさい/行ってね)。 Hurry up and go!

旅行を楽しみなよ(≈楽しんでね)。 Enjoy your trip, OK?

しおり、文句を言わないでご飯をさっさと食べなよ(≈食べなさい)。 Shiori, stop complaining and finish your food!

I seem to recall reading somewhere that this is primarily a feminine expression, but I can't locate that particular statement at the moment, so I'll wait for someone else to clarify that.

share|improve this answer
The here is actually not an imperative/command. It means suggestion. I.e., 'I suggest you leave shortly', 'I suggest you enjoy your trip', etc. That is why it is milder. Your equation 行きなよ行きなさい is not accurate. is not feminine at all, but is feminine (sometimes). –  sawa Jul 8 '11 at 13:18

@sawa: I don't think you can make the blanket statement that this use of な is never as an imperative or command. The use changes between command and suggestion based on the tone, which is almost impossible to convey in print. This is why I provided both 行きなさい and 行ってね as possible substitutions for 行きなよ. With such a short sentence, you don't know which is meant unless you actually hear it pronounced. The other two uses I provided can be inferred through the context of the sentence, which is why I only gave one substitution. –  Derek Schaab Jul 8 '11 at 13:30

@sawa: But in the interest of accuracy, I'll change the = to ≈ to mean "approximately equal to". :) –  Derek Schaab Jul 8 '11 at 13:32
@Derek What you are saying is the same as saying that the English sentence "Why don't you hurry up?" is an imperative or a command. –  sawa Jul 8 '11 at 13:43
@Tsuyoshi: Essentially it comes down to subjective definitions. What seems a suggestion to one person may seem an imperative to another. I don't really care what it's called. All I'm trying to do in my answer is show how it's used, not how it's classified. :) –  Derek Schaab Jul 8 '11 at 15:20

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.