Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I practice 合気道. We do a lot of break falling that we call ukemi. I was led to believe that it meant safe escape from a technique. However, I started looking at the Japanese and found I only had part of the answer. I believe that ukemi can be translated as receiving body (受け身). It is what uke (受け, whoever receives the technique) does when nage (投げ thrower?) or tori (取り, grabber?) applies a technique.

Am I correct in my assumptions?

Are my kanji correct?

Note that this was a martial arts stackexchange question that got no where despite a bounty. It might be more suitable here...

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Your kanji are correct. [受]{う}け[身]{み}. You can also write it [受]{うけ}[身]{み}.

The general meaning of 受け身, however, is not "receiving body" but "passive." Thus, the passive voice "it is written by him" (vs. active "he writes").

I am not familiar with your martial art, but I would guess that it means you take a passive rather than active role in the combat -- receiving the action of others and responding to it.

I could imagine this being understood as "safe escape" if there are Buddhist overtones that imported in seeing actively fighting as being interested. But it's definitely not a very natural translation.

share|improve this answer

@Sardathrion as written above "passive." Maybe, "defensive." Also shows up with the "art of falling safely" but that means as in the technique of being 受け身 (for list of English definitions see csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1E ) –  virmaior Jul 29 at 9:29
Oops sorry about that with the link... should have known just from looking at it. Same data is here: jisho.org/words?jap=%E5%8F%97%E8%BA%AB&eng=&dict=edict –  virmaior Jul 29 at 10:07

Great! Many thanks indeed!!! –  Sardathrion Jul 29 at 10:23

@Sardathrion Don't forget to accept the answer if it was useful to you :) –  Tek Jul 29 at 12:57
@Tek: I shall but I do not accept answers within 24 hours of asking the question as it might discourage someone else to post an even better answer. –  Sardathrion Jul 29 at 13:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.