Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have learned from my previous studies that it is みんで.

However, Google translate seems to give me the answer みて.

Which is correct?

share|improve this question
Can you explain a little about "previous studies"? Where did you find みんで? –  Steel Jul 25 at 6:30

I had an elective course in my undergrad - Elementary Japanese. So it seems that my teacher was wrong in that aspect. –  Mark Gabriel Jul 25 at 6:54
You seem to be conjugating it as though it's mim-u rather than mi-ru. Do you have a basic textbook? –  snailboat Jul 25 at 7:10
^ Dunno. Maybe the downvoters meant to say you should have checked your textbook first? –  Choko Jul 25 at 8:54
This question appears to be off-topic because it is very basic and does not warrant becoming a question. It detracts from the overall quality of the forum. –  Tim Jul 25 at 13:30

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

If you are talking about [見]{み}ます/見る, the て-form is 見て。

share|improve this answer

Is 見ます == watch? If so, then yes, that's what I'm talking about. I'm sorry, I don't understand Kanji yet. –  Mark Gabriel Jul 25 at 6:28

Yes 見る is to watch. There are other みる as well, but there is no conjugation of みんで. At least, it is not something that I can find in a dictionary like jisho.org –  Steel Jul 25 at 6:30
It is not みて for both みる and みます. –  非回答者 Jul 25 at 8:15

If OP really wanted to make a distinction between みる and みます, then the te-forms would be:

みる ⇒ みて

みます ⇒ みまして 

share|improve this answer
Of course, みまして is pretty unusual, but it is technically the -て form of みます. –  Sjiveru Jul 25 at 16:15

How is it used? I'm guessing it's just the polite version of みて. But is there any special nuance in it? –  Steel Jul 26 at 5:09

@Steel If you'd like to know when ~まして would be used (outside of lexicalized phrases like はじめまして), you could perhaps ask a separate question. –  snailboat Jul 26 at 12:43

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.