Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

On the 助動詞 wikipedia page there is this sentence and I can't make sense of the part in bold:

助詞「の」「ので」「のに」等が続く場合に使われる。連体形だが名詞を修飾することはできない。なお、形容動詞を品詞と認めない立場では別の考え方になる。

Here is my try :

(Those 連体形 are) only used when preceding things like 「の」「のに」「ので」. However, a noun cannot use those 連体形 in order to modify (another element). Moreover, from the view point which does not recognize na-adjectives and (???) parts of speech, there is another way of thinking ???.

May somebody help me so as to understand this part?

share|improve this question
(1) Can you indicate where this sentence is? (2) From your knowledge, what do you expect it to say? –  Tim Jul 24 at 1:18

I think 「連体形だが名詞を修飾することはできない」 is saying that "even though な is a 連体形, it cannot modify nouns". I'm unsure about what the last sentence is saying though. –  3 to 5 business days Jul 24 at 4:19

@3to5businessdays, Yes, I agree with your proposal for 「連体形だが名詞を修飾することはできない」. –  Lyle Jul 24 at 8:43

@Tim, (1) the sentence is the one denoted by a 5 just above the 文語 section. (2) Exactly, what I wrote in my question. The point which troubled me the most was that people could consider 形容動詞 as something other than a "part of speech". If there are not what are they then ? And the presence of と troubled me quite a bit too. –  Lyle Jul 24 at 8:50

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I think it's saying...

Those 連体形 (=「そうな」「べきな」「な」 and 「です」) can be followed by particles 「の」「ので」「のに」etc...

例: そうなの・べきなの・なの・ですの
そうなので・べきなので・なので・ですので
そうなのに・べきなのに・なのに・ですのに

... but cannot modify nouns (=cannot be followed by nouns).

例: *そうな机・*べきな机・*な机・*です机

By the way, those who don't recognize na-adjectives as a part of speech (=those who deny na-adjectives) think differently (eg. they consider きれいな机 as "きれい + 助動詞「だ(な)」+ noun", not as "na-adjective + noun").

By the way, the なお is not a 副詞/adverb ("furthermore") but a 接続詞/conjunction ("ちなみに/by the way").

XXをYYと認める means "recognize/consider XX as YY".

share|improve this answer

Thank you very much, I really had a hard time with XXをYYと認める but now it is clear. And thanks for なお I did not notice that it was also a conjunction. –  Lyle Jul 24 at 8:35
Is the line of thinking that na-adj is not a part of speech common? –  3 to 5 business days Jul 24 at 8:48
@3to5businessdays In 広辞苑, they're lumped in with nouns. –  snailboat Jul 25 at 1:15
@3to5businessdays 一応、普通は、日本の小・中・高等学校では、「形容動詞」をひとつの品詞として習います・・・ –  Choko Jul 28 at 12:50

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.