Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm writing a report for a class, and at first I wrote:

[…]どのような批判があろう[…]

But then I sat back and thought, maybe it should actually be:

[…]どのような批判があろう[…]

But now I'm not sure if there's actually a difference, or if there is, how it actually affects the meaning in this case. So... do these actually have different meanings/connotations? And if so, how so?

Thanks for your help!

share|improve this question
論文とか、正式な文章なら、「~~あろうが(なかろうが)」よりも「~~あろうと(なかろうと)」「~~あろうと(も)」のほうがいいかなと思います。文語的だからかな?‌​私だけかもしれないけど。 –  Choko Jul 23 at 16:41

@Choko ありがとうございます!回答でお願いしてもよろしいでしょうか? –  rintaun Jul 23 at 16:44

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

There is virtually no difference in meaning but there is a slight difference in nuance, therefore, in actual usage.

Using 「どのような批判があろう + が」 could make you sound a bit more defensive and/or excited about your own opinion being presented than when using 「どのような批判があろう + と」. The latter would help show your composure as an author better than the former.

Without knowing what you want to say in your report, however, it is difficult to say which one you should choose. The "safer" choice in general would be to use 「と」, naturally.

share|improve this answer

Yes, I think と is the correct choice in my particular case. Thanks! –  rintaun Jul 26 at 13:47

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.