Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I find it much more sincere to accept compliments and show how grateful I am rather than to belittle myself. Therefore I would like to know some phrases in Japanese to accept compliments and show my gratitude rather than overhumbling myself (e.g. not まだまだ).

How do you accept compliments in Japanese without coming off as really arrogant (taking into consideration that the Japanese culture in general highly values modesty and humility)? Although in the West it is certainly possible to accept compliments and be modest at the same time.

E.g. in English we might say:

• "I'm very happy to hear that!"
  • "I'm glad you liked it (for a performance or something like that)"
  • "It's very kind of you to say that."

Thank you

share|improve this question
Compliments are made in different styles in different cultures. People from any culture know exactly how the other person will respond to a compliment even before making that compliment; therefore, they unconsciously word their compliments so that the replies will "match" them in style and they can communicate. One major characteristic of Japanese-style compliments is exaggeration. We exaggerate because we KNOW that the other guy is going to deny the compliment. For instance, we will tell you that your Japanese is great if you know a word or two. Will you reply "I'm happy to hear that!"? –  非回答者 Jul 23 at 14:24

@非回答者 So, would the answer to this question be "No, it's not possible to accept compliments without sounding arrogant in Japanese" ? –  Choko Jul 26 at 7:21

@Choko If I were to answer the question, yes, I would say something like that without hesitation. –  非回答者 Jul 26 at 9:24
Related: the OP has asked the same question on Chinese.SE: chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/8747/… –  snailboat Jul 26 at 12:40

2 Answers 2

This is a hard topic because as you stated Japanese people normally don't react in this way. With that said, there are a couple approaches, not already stated here. (These would be in a more formal setting). Also, it really depends on how you are getting complimented and what the compliment is.

~光栄です。(It's an honor, I am flattered, etc.)

お蔭様で~。(Thanks to you~, Because of your help~, etc.)

~からこそ~。 (All because of~I was able to~, only because~was I able to~)

share|improve this answer

I'd also add that people often say お陰様で when, logically, it's not really thanks to your help at all, so that's probably the most generally useful one. –  emodendroket Jul 26 at 3:07

Yes, there are ways to say these kind of things. They don't sound super arrogant to me, but I won't guarantee that they'll always be the perfect thing to say. I went with ですます, but keigo and plain form versions are possible as well.

"I'm very happy to hear that!"

「そう言ってくれて、とても嬉しい【うれしい】です。」

"I'm glad you liked it"

「気に入って【いって】もらって嬉しいです。」

"It's very kind of you to say that."

「優しい【やさしい】ことばをありがとうございます。」

share|improve this answer
Your Japanese phrases are only "translated" from the English. That does not mean we actually say those. In fact, we do not. Those are the phrases we hear in foreign films dubbed in Japanese, not in real life. –  非回答者 Jul 24 at 23:55

@非回答者 In this case, the questioner made it clear that (s)he had been told that there were more culturally appropriate answers, and explictly rejected them. Given that, how is it possible to answer the question without using phrases that may be out of place in real life? If my answer was misleading in some way, I'll be happy to improve it. –  Kyon Smith Jul 25 at 10:23

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.