Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Example : As a friend, I think we should...

What do you add to ともだち to add the "As a" prefix?

Also, after that part, does the rest of the sentence follow the normal rules of a Japanese sentence?

What I mean is, could I comfortably add "As a friend" at the start of any Japanese sentence without changing anything for it to make sense?

Edit : Also, if you could put your answers in both Kanji and kana, that would be great, since I do not understand Kanji yet. Thanks

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Generally speaking, ~として is used for "as a". You use a noun before として. For example:

As a friend...
友{とも}だちとして...

share|improve this answer

So if it was "As your friend, I think you should eat", would the translation be ともだちとして、あなたはたべましょうとおもいます? –  Mark Gabriel Jul 23 at 7:16

I would say 「ともだちとして、あなたがたべたらいいとおもいます。」But it may not be the best option. –  Szymon Jul 23 at 7:27

Why is that so? I'm sorry for the many questions. I'm a beginner in Japanese. –  Mark Gabriel Jul 23 at 7:50
Moreover you won't use the masu form before to omoimasu. You could say tabeyou to omoimasu, however as Szymon said, it will reflect your intentions. –  Kokoroatari Jul 23 at 9:26
Also, I'd go with "友達として言うけど、食べたほうがいいよ"。 –  Kokoroatari Jul 23 at 9:33

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.