Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

Newcomer here. Trying to learn Japanese on my own for years now. Here's a first question. How can I make sure to learn correctly the difference between using を and で in the context of an action occurring in a given place. Meaning, what is correct to say:

公園で散歩します。

or

公園を散歩します。

I tend to always use で in such case, but I stumble upon を at times.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by istrasci, Earthliŋ, Dono, Szymon, Ataraxia Jul 20 at 1:27

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

I think that 公園を散歩する is an example of what Martin calls a "partial traversal" を, so it doesn't really imply walking all the way through the park. In this case I think で can be used without a major change in meaning. In other cases を is more like through or across ("total traversal"), as in 橋を渡る. And a third use is similar to から, expressing a point of departure, as in 家を出る. –  snailboat Jul 18 at 22:38

@snailboat: That's interesting. Does Martin give other examples? (Can't help wondering if he just made it up to fit this one case!) I had exact same question as the OP. I was told that even though で is grammatically possible, people use を when they take a walk in the park. As a rule of thumb, I think we non-natives should try to follow the conventions, without overly worrying about it them, in much the same way non-native speakers of English get by. –  Tim Jul 18 at 23:45
@Tim He says it varies according to the verb, so 空を飛ぶ is partial traversal because that's part of the semantics of 飛ぶ, while verbs like 渡る or 通る have the semantics of total traversal. (Hopefully this makes sense on an intuitive level.) I think you're right that を is the usual choice in the case of 公園を散歩する, although I think people occasionally do use で. –  snailboat Jul 18 at 23:55

@snailboat . Yes, good point. I suppose the sky is similar to the park. Until now I would have thought it was similar to a river which you can swim in (で)or swim across (を). Even so I think will continue using を with park because で just adds to the noise in my spoken Japanese - people will assume I don't understand, even though I may be deliberately using something that is technically correct. –  Tim Jul 19 at 5:35

1 Answer 1

で indicates the location of an action, while を indicates the object of an action. However, some verbs such as 散歩【さんぽ】する, 走る【はしる】, 歩く【あるく】, etc. can also be used in this way, meaning that both are correct.

share|improve this answer
No, not quite. を can be "spatial", like 空を飛ぶ, so that 公園を散歩します is actually correct and frequently used. –  Earthliŋ Jul 18 at 23:49

Yes, I was unsure of my answer after posting it and did some more research and found that intransitive verbs have slightly different rules. –  Widdiful Jul 18 at 23:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.