Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have stumbled upon instances where "は + verb" is used in situations where I thought "を + verb" should be used. For example recently I've seen "その覚悟はしてました" (I was prepared for that) and "楽な道は選ぶな" (don't choose an easy road).

Is there a difference? And if there is, what's the "rule" when to use "は" instead of "を"?

Thanks in advance.

share|improve this question
It's a question of emphasis. "I am prepared for that." "Do not choose the easy way." –  Zhen Lin Jul 15 at 18:17

1 Answer 1

up vote 0 down vote accepted

は is normally used a subject marker, but its also used for emphasis by slightly subverting its standard usage. When used this way, it's usually to show contrast the object with some other object. In your example sentence (その覚悟はしてました), the speaker indicates that they're prepared for the eventuality that their conversation partner just mentioned, but maybe not some others.
「無線機をなくしたら、どうしますか?」
「その覚悟はしてます。シグナル鏡を持っていくつもりです。」
「シグナル鏡をなくしたら?」
「そのときは、仕方がありません。」

share|improve this answer

Okay. Thanks for the answer! –  RadonBust Jul 15 at 19:33
は is often a topic marker not a subject marker, that is が. –  Tim Jul 15 at 21:46

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.