Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was doing my daily dose of reading and I came by this particular sentence, which I had a little bit of trouble finding the meaning for.

「このあたりからまた意識が虚ろになってしまいました」

The context is a patient who had brain surgery and is struggling to get his thoughts together. I roughly translate it to "Once again my consciousness has faded from these effects".

The 虚ろに has been the main problem I have with this particular sentence. I know the 虚ろ is a way to address something hollow, or give a sense of emptiness thats different from 空; but I'd like some confirmation on the usage of that 虚ろに in this sentence. Also, the「あたり」is written in hiragana, so I'm not 100% sure on it meaning "effects".

Once again, thanks for anyone taking their time to answer this question!

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

First, it looks like you are somehow seeing a word that is simply not there -- 「[当]{あ}たり」 --, which is preventing you from understanding this sentence even without the word 「[虚]{うつ}ろ」.

The word that you should be seeing instead is 「[辺]{あた}り」. 「このあたり」 means "around here/there". Unlike 当たり、辺り is very often written in kana.

(For the pronunciation-conscious students, 「[辺]{あた}り」 and 「[当]{あ}たり」 are pronounced very differently from each other. The pitch accent is on the あ in 辺り and it is on the たり in 当たり.)

「このあたりからまた[意識]{いしき}が[虚]{うつ}ろになってしまいました。」

「意識が虚ろになる」 means "to become not fully conscious"

"From around this point (in time), I became not fully conscious again."

share|improve this answer

So that's why it seemed way off for some reason. Thanks for clearing it up for me! This has been really helpful –  Terrier Jul 15 at 10:53

I have never heard anybody referred to as "becoming not fully conscious again" in the "real English speaking world". It seems derivative a typical J->E dictionary. You also have not mentioned how to deal with ~てしまいました which is a challenge when it is combined with an English expression such as "not fully conscious". Possibly "~I slipped into a stupor (or daze)" might work? We could add "complete" before stupor/daze but the sentence is more natural without it and a "slip" is often an action that takes one beyond the point of no return which (I think) captures the 〜てしまいました nuance. –  Tim Jul 15 at 21:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.