I can't find this defined anywhere.

Here's an example:

タオルケットをちょちょいかけにきてくれる。

I am also interested in what this whole sentence says.

• I repeat the same comment as before: please add examples. Jul 6, 2011 at 20:17
  • I added an example. Jul 6, 2011 at 22:35
    I think your example is ungrammatical unless it's meant to be for some minor dialect.
    – user458
    Jul 6, 2011 at 23:17
    I suppose these tweets curated.by/ento/-2 constitute the full context of the example sentence. The tweeter (マオ) is from Fukuoka: wikipedia
    – ento
    Jul 7, 2011 at 8:50
    I tried asking him directly but no response so far.
    – ento
    Jul 24, 2011 at 10:29

2 Answers 2

It's a variation of ちょっと, but usually in reference to an action. Just like ちょっと in that context, it's meant to indicate that the action will be quick and easy. It's more casual (and therefore more emphatically quick and easy) than ちょっと.

Not that it's rude, but I wouldn't use it outside of casual company.

• So what does the example in my question say? Jul 7, 2011 at 6:49
  • "I'll go put the blanket on (somebody)" (タオルケット = a blanket with towel-like texture). The ちょちょい implies that it'll take just a sec, and the speaker will be right back. Jul 7, 2011 at 15:18
  • @SuperElectric: Is it not referring to the 先生, that he (kindly) comes and put a blanket on me (the speaker)?
    – fnokke
    Jul 8, 2011 at 12:10
  • I hadn't read the original tweet that was linked from the question. You're right, @fnokke, it means "The teacher comes and puts the blanket on me", with ちょちょい meaning that it was done casually, as in, no big deal. Jul 8, 2011 at 13:00
  • Although all of this applies to ちょちょいと, I do not think that ちょちょい without と can be used as an adverb (as in the question) in the standard dialect. As sawa commented on the question, I suspect that it is a dialect-specific usage. Jul 8, 2011 at 15:04

EDIT: My theory was wrong, as pointed out by SuperElectric.

Maybe it means the same as ちょいちょい ?

That is a Kansai dialect word, translates to: sometimes/often

Example:
サッカーは最近ちょいちょいやってる。
= Recently I have been playing soccer relatively often.

• If I google ちょいちょい then it comes up with a lot of things. Is it the same word? Jul 7, 2011 at 6:50
  • I don't know, but I guess it could a variation on the word, with the same meaning. I also see ちょいちょいちょちょい and ちょちょいのちょい being used, sounds like the Spanish construction of poquiquiquito. Jul 7, 2011 at 6:58
  • This ちょいちょい is more like a Kansai version of しょっちゅう (frequently), and is different from the ちょちょい as used in the question's example. Jul 7, 2011 at 15:20

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .