Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I'm playing a video game in Japanese, and one of the characters said

僕にもわかりそうにない

I understand that (verb stem)そう means "it seems" or "it appears", but I've never seen (verb stem)そう used with the に particle.

My guess is that the sentence means something like:

I don't seem to know either.

Am I translating it correctly? What is the meaning of this construction?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by istrasci, Earthliŋ, Dono, Szymon, ssb Jul 14 at 12:52

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

As for your second sentence, are you sure you've never seen V + しか ない (e.g. 諦めるしかない)? –  Earthliŋ Jul 12 at 20:44

@Earthliŋ No, I've only seen しかない used with nouns (e.g. コンピュータが一台しかない), but I now realize that my confusion with this sentence isn't related to そう, so I'll edit it out of the question. –  Ataraxia Jul 12 at 20:59

As you can see here そうにない is a phrase and it means "doesn't seems like; extremely unlikely to". So I think that your translation is correct. –  DarkAkira Jul 13 at 10:02
You may be interested in the difference between 知る and 分かる. 「分かりそうにない」 is "unlikely that I can understand (the difficult textbook, concept, etc.)" as opposed to just knowing something as a fact. –  naruto Jul 14 at 0:12

@naruto Yes, I know the difference between the two. –  Ataraxia Jul 14 at 17:32

1 Answer 1

Your translation is correct.
「そう」is for positive sentence, 「そうに」is for negative sentence.
「そう」/「そうに」also have some meaning of "in the future".

I also understand.

僕にもわかります
僕にもわかる

I understand... maybe.

僕にもわかりそうです
僕にもわかりそう

I don't understand.

僕にはわかりません
僕にはわからない

I don't understand, ether.

僕にもわかりません
僕にもわからない

It's hard to understand. Ask someone else.
「そうもない」is much harder to achieve the goal than 「そうにない」.

僕にはわかりそうもありません
僕にはわかりそうもない

I don't understand ether.
Nearly same as 「わからない」 but 「わかりそうにない」is a little bit soft.

僕にもわかりそうにない

"(I'll try but..) it seems too dificult for me to understand"
「わからなそうです」is more softer expression

僕にもわからなそうです

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.