Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Could somebody please give me a hint about the meaning of に in 「反抗的な態度映ったのか、隊長は舌打ちして前を向く。」. If I'm understanding correctly, に here has the same meaning as として.

内容・状態などを示す。「ーとして」の意。「ほうびにもらう」

Some sort of translation:

Maybe he took it (Luis's laugh) as a rebellious attitude, the captain tutted, facing forward again.

With context:

隊長「おい、うるさいぞ。ふざけるな」

助手席からの苛立たしげな声が、俺たちをぴしゃりと打つ。

こちら隊長様だ。

瑚太朗「すみません」

ルイス「ごめんなさーい」

反抗的な態度に映ったのか、隊長は舌打ちして前を向く。

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

(~が) 反抗的な態度に見える
(~が) 反抗的な態度に映る
(~を) 反抗的な態度として受け止める
(~が) 反抗的な態度として受け止られる(受け止められる)
(~を) 反抗的な態度と捉える

x
反抗的な態度として見える(映る)
反抗的な態度に受け止める

「に」and「として」have nearly same meaning but 「に」is correct here.

share|improve this answer

Your last sentence is incorrect, or at least highly misleading. People say 「~~として送る」、「~~として見える」、「~~として書く」, etc. all the time. –  非回答者 Jul 14 at 0:49

@非回答者 Thank you for your comment. I deleted the last sentence. Some people say「~~と見える」but they are (acceptable but) incorrect, and we don't use 「~~として見える」. (「~~したとみえて」is used sometimes but they are not same.) –  Toris Jul 14 at 10:40

@非回答者 (Maybe) many of Japanese feel 「として」in 「~~として受け止める」 and 「~~として送る」are differtent. Former one can be replaced with「~~のように(見える)」but not with 「~~の替わりに」. Latter one can be replaced with 「~~の替わりに送る」but not with 「~~のように」. Same sound, same spelling but not same usage. –  Toris Jul 14 at 14:41

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.