Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Earlier, I asked a question with the following examples:

朝飯のみに茶を飲む
朝飯のみで茶を飲む

I was told in a comment that 私 and 朝飯 sound funny together. Why is that so?

share|improve this question
It seems to be a register thing. –  Zhen Lin Jul 11 at 17:37

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The word 「[朝飯]{あさめし}」, to begin with, is NOT your most generic word for "breakfast". That word would be 「[朝]{あさ}ご[飯]{はん}」, or more formally,「[朝食]{ちょうしょく}」. This means that it would take a certain group of people and/or certain situations for you to hear the word 朝飯 in natural settings among us native speakers.

Who would say 朝飯, then? First and foremost, it is male speakers. Any male speakers? No, it would generally be the "tough guy" types. Once in a while, however, even the non-tough guy would use the word if he were surrounded by other guys he knew very well --- call it peer pressure.

However, the next question is even more important. How many of those tough guys with their own word choices would refer to themselves with the not-so-informal pronoun 「私」 when we have a few other choices that would go better and more naturally with a word like 朝飯? This is why I said it sounded funny. I just could not picture a guy using those two words in a short sentence in the real Japanese-speaking world.

I am not sure how you are reading 「私」, but the combination of わたし and 朝飯 would already be very rare and that of わたくし and 朝飯 would be near impossible.

share|improve this answer

I thought 朝飯 was readあさはん and was just a short version of 朝ご飯. Thx for the clarification. –  Daniel Jul 12 at 8:35

@Daniel You should think of ごはん as a single word with the ご "built-in". –  snailboat Jul 12 at 15:05

I hear 朝飯 and 晩飯 used a bit in Tohoku, mostly by older men who have no pretense of "toughness". The men I know who say it very often use 私 as a personal pronoun, too. I know that you said it's "generally" used by "tough guy" types, but I thought I'd add my two cents. –  alexhatesmil Jul 14 at 0:48

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.