Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In a fanfiction i am writing, one of the characters who was born in Japan gives her girlfriend a bracelet she had made, as a sign of her nationality there is an engraving in japanese which, when her girlfriend asks the meaning she replies

"It's Nanoha loves Feito Forever"

which is actually a reference to when 2 people write their initials in a heart like this

____    ____
  /    \  /    \
 /      \/      \
/                \
\      N T       /
 \              /
  \     +      /
   \          /
    \ F T H  /
     \      /
      \    /
       \  /
        \/

N T = Nanoha Takamachi

F T H = Fate Testarossa Harlaown (Nanoha says Feito)

when i use google translate to find Loves i get , using the Nanoha Wikia for Nanoah's and Fate's names in japanese i get

なのは愛 フェイト

since i'm a stricter for accuracy with these things i am wondering if this correct? if not what would be the correct way of express what i am trying to achieve

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Dono, senshin, Earthliŋ, Kaji, Zhen Lin Jul 11 at 17:37

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not provide a bulk translation service. See: We don't do translations." – Dono, senshin, Earthliŋ, Kaji, Zhen Lin
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

You can't just substitute Japanese words for English words. Japanese is a different language with its own grammar and vocabulary. –  snailboat Jul 11 at 9:55
Changed the subject to a more specific one. I think this is a meaningful question for those who know the basics of Japanese grammar, too. –  naruto Jul 11 at 14:08

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

First, every language has peculiar vocabulary when it comes to memorials, ceremonies, gravestones, etc. Don't believe Google Translate in such a case.

Second, Japanese people generally don't like engraving Japanese text on things like rings, bracelets, watches, etc. Sharing such items as the symbol of love or friendship is a common practice in Japan, but using English alphabets is by far the commonest:

NANOHA LOVE FATE
NANOHA ♥ FATE
FOREVER LOVE / NANOHA & FATE / 2014

I think these may look somewhat weird to native English speakers, but that's how it is. Using kanji makes even less sense when the present is for a foreigner.

If you insist that you need a Japanese expression which is not understandable by Fate, here are the samples:

2人の愛が永遠に続きますように Futari no Ai ga Eien ni Tsuzukimasu yoni.
May our love last forever.

愛は永遠に Ai wa Eien ni.
Love (lasts) forever.

永遠の愛をここに誓う Eien no Ai wo Koko ni Chikau.
We herein pledge eternal love.

These expressions are frequently seen on Japanese 絵馬.

Anything shorter than these, like simply putting "愛 (love)", would be very strange to native Japanese people. But as you are writing to English-speaking audience, you may not have to be too strict. For example, kanji tattoos by westerners are always weird to Japanese (even if they're in perfect Japanese), but we just can't stop them.

share|improve this answer

According to the "imiwa?" dictionary, the verb for "to love" is 「愛する」. I believe that the correct way to express a sentence like

X loves Y.

would be

XはYを愛しています。

Google translate isn't the best way for finding out what a word is, but sometimes it works. 「愛」 is in fact the noun "love"

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.