Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've got a question about the two instances of の in 君が代:

さざれ石の巌となりて
苔の生すまで

First, is さざれ石の巌 to be interpreted as a boulder made of pebbles (analogous to, say, 木製の槍)?

Second, is the の in 苔の生すまで essentially が, akin to the が/の alternation in relative clauses:

太郎の焼いた魚/太郎が焼いた魚

If so, what stage of the development of Japanese was this alternation possible outside of relative clauses?

(Bonus: what stage of Japanese does 君が代 even reflect and why? I know it was cobbled together in the Meiji period; the Wikipedia article says it's based on a waka from the Heian period, but doesn't provide the original text.)

share|improve this question
I'm not sure it answers your question, but Hiraiwa talks about が-の conversion before まで in Nominative-Genitive Conversion Revisited (2001). –  snailboat Jul 9 at 13:53
「さざれ石(=細かい石)が[巌]{いわお}(=大きな岩)になって、(それに)[苔]{こけ}が[生]{む}す(=苔が[生]{は}える)まで。」って意味です。 –  Choko Jul 9 at 16:56

I know in Old Japanese (pre-790s) の could mark the subject of basically any non-main clause - I know for sure it could appear with conditionals (with -ば), and IIRC with quotations (with と) at least also, as well as with まで. Not sure when this stage ended, though, so I can't answer the OP's whole question. –  Sjiveru Jul 9 at 18:10
@Choko: Thanks. Okay, so both the instances of の are actually subject markers. –  jogloran Jul 10 at 3:18
I suppose most Japanese students grasp the basic meaning of the lyrics usually somewhere in their teens. –  naruto Jul 10 at 16:28

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.