Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've got a question about the two instances of の in 君が代:

さざれ石の巌となりて
苔の生すまで

First, is さざれ石の巌 to be interpreted as a boulder made of pebbles (analogous to, say, 木製の槍)?

Second, is the の in 苔の生すまで essentially が, akin to the が/の alternation in relative clauses:

太郎の焼いた魚/太郎が焼いた魚

If so, what stage of the development of Japanese was this alternation possible outside of relative clauses?

(Bonus: what stage of Japanese does 君が代 even reflect and why? I know it was cobbled together in the Meiji period; the Wikipedia article says it's based on a waka from the Heian period, but doesn't provide the original text.)

share|improve this question
I'm not sure it answers your question, but Hiraiwa talks about が-の conversion before まで in Nominative-Genitive Conversion Revisited (2001). –  snailboat Jul 9 at 13:53
「さざれ石(=細かい石)が[巌]{いわお}(=大きな岩)になって、(それに)[苔]{こけ}が[生]{む}す(=苔が[生]{は}える)まで。」って意味です。 –  Choko Jul 9 at 16:56
I know in Old Japanese (pre-790s) の could mark the subject of basically any non-main clause - I know for sure it could appear with conditionals (with -ば), and IIRC with quotations (with と) at least also, as well as with まで. Not sure when this stage ended, though, so I can't answer the OP's whole question. –  Sjiveru Jul 9 at 18:10
@Choko: Thanks. Okay, so both the instances of の are actually subject markers. –  jogloran Jul 10 at 3:18
I suppose most Japanese students grasp the basic meaning of the lyrics usually somewhere in their teens. –  naruto Jul 10 at 16:28

1 Answer 1

Turning comments into an answer. Credit should go all to the commenters on original question!

Choko:

「さざれ石(=細かい石)が巌【いわお】(=大きな岩)になって、(それに)苔【こけ】が[生]{む}す(=苔が生【は】える)まで。」って意味です。

jogloran:

Is the fact that が=の in this text commonly known to ordinary Japanese speakers?

Choko:

私学の中高に通っていた大学生は結構知らなかったりしますね・・・

College students that went to private junior and high schools often aren't aware of it...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.