Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

For instance, if I say the following as the first phrase in a conversation:

おはよう!ピクニックでリナさんを探していましたが、どこもみえませんでしたね。

Hi! I was looking for you at the picnic, but couldn't find anywhere.

Is it OK to construct the sentence without a particular topic? Is I as the topic implied in this case?

share|improve this question
Several features of that sentence seem weird to me (特に丁寧語と友達同士ことばが不味く混ぜています。). Did you write it yourself or are you quoting something? –  virmaior Jul 7 at 10:13
@virmaior, yes, I wrote this. Any off-topic feedback is welcome, too. –  katspaugh Jul 7 at 14:01
Err, the causal vs. non casual happens in a lot of ways here. おはよう [very casual]. ... さん [very polite]... いましたが[polite]. みえませんでした [polite] ね [casual -- at least in this context]. Also, leaving out yourself as subject is somewhat casual (depending on the sentence). Commenting that you didn't find someone is casual but done in a formal voice. Makes it kind of a weird whiplash sentence feel. –  virmaior Jul 7 at 14:59

@virmaior will keep your comments in mind next time, thank you! –  katspaugh Jul 8 at 5:44

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I think you can say it like this:

おはようございます!ピクニックでリナさんを探していたんですが、どこも*見え**ませんでしたね。(polite)

*どこも→どこ
**The 見える is the honorific form of いる(居る), and its subject (=リナさん) is implied. To avoid the confusing with 「(私がリナさんを)見えませんでした」(見える = potential form of 見る), you can rephrase it as 「どこにもいらっしゃらなかったですね。」, using いらっしゃる which is another honorific form of いる.

Or:

おはよう!ピクニックでリナさんを探していたんだけど、どこもいなかったね。(casual)

If you want to say "I couldn't find you" more literally using "I" as the subject, you can say it this way:

おはようございます!ピクニックでリナさんを探していたんですが、見つけられませんでした(よ)。(polite)
or
おはよう!ピクニックでリナさんを探していたんだけど、見つけられなかったよ。/ 見つからなかったよ。(casual)

share|improve this answer

Thanks! So I guess the answer is: no, the topic is not obligatory, even in polite speech. –  katspaugh Jul 8 at 5:53

@katspaugh はい、I think you're right! –  Choko Jul 8 at 9:02

I do know you're japanese, Chokosan, but stll i can't avoid point out that thinking おられる as honorific form is a (common) mistake. –  Kokoroatari Jul 8 at 22:30
@Kokoroatari goo辞書(「おられる」「…ておられる」の形で尊敬表現に用‌​いられる。)やWeblio辞書(多くは尊敬を表す。「いらっし‌​ゃる」などの意味。)にも載っているのに、Wiktionaryによれば、関東出身者や「おる」と謙譲語と見る年齢層が誤用であると考え不快に感じるそうで‌​、Wikipediaも「おられる」を「いる」の尊敬語一覧に載せている一方で注釈に、東日本には抵‌​抗を持つ人もいる、と書いていて、さらに「京阪地域では多用されている」とあるので私が関西人であるため抵抗を感じなかったのだと思います。 –  Choko Jul 10 at 23:38

東京や関東で「違和感がある、抵抗がある」とされる表現を、日本語学習者に使用するよう勧めるのは良いことではないと思うので、「おられる」は削除したいと思います。 –  Choko Jul 10 at 23:40

It is implied. If you want to follow up this sentence with a different sentence you'd need to mark the new one with は. (e.g. リナさんはどこにいたの?)

And like virmaior said, the mix of casual speech with polite speech is definitely odd.

share|improve this answer
imo asking the followup without リナさんは would be fine –  ssb Jul 7 at 14:01
Thank you, I get it. As for the casual speech, do you guys mean the「おはよう」there? –  katspaugh Jul 7 at 14:13
For a more formal "Good Morning", you simply need 「おはようございます」instead. –  William Jul 7 at 17:53

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.