Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I finished Core 10000 (an Anki deck) and 振る舞う (to entertain) was one of the last ones to pop up.

I find it interesting because to me it appears to be a combination of plain form 振る (to shake) + another plain form verb 舞う (to dance). This differs from all the other two-verb compounds I am used to such as 取り引き (transaction, noun in this case)、書き直す (rewrite)、やり直す (redo)、吹き出す (blow out), 話し出す (start talking)、飛び上がる (fly up), where the first verb is the masu-form instead of plain.

I cannot recall any similar plain-form + plain-form verbs like 振る舞う.

My theory is that either this verb is an exception to the rule or this verb is in fact, NOT a two-verb compound. It is simply ふるまう, a single verb, and the Kanji was conveniently added later to make it look like a two-Kanji compound.

share|improve this question
In 日本国語大辞典, it is suggested that it might come from 振るい舞う, i.e. that the first element comes from the verb 振るう rather than 振る. –  Zhen Lin Jul 6 at 19:17
@ZhenLin: why not post this as answer? –  Igor Skochinsky Jul 6 at 20:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.