Let's have some fun with particles! Create a sentence using as many particles as you can. Rules:

1. The sentence can combine any number of clauses or ideas but it must be meaningful (i.e. no gibberish) and should be using standard Japanese (i.e. no slang).
  2. Each entry will be given a score based on how many unique usages of particles; 1 point per particle. No point is given to repeated particles unless they are used for different roles, for example using one から for denoting reason and another for denoting origin of movement give 2 points. Please count the score and include it in your entry (also recommended if you can bold/highlight the particles that you count).
  3. Compound particles (では, でも, のに etc) are considered different particles from their atomic particles as long as their roles are clearly distinct from the latter. A counter-example would be something like "X からの Y" where the からの is simply から + の particles.
  4. Sentences that simply list down all the particles do not qualify as "meaningful".
  5. One entry per answer, please.

NB: Dear moderators, please make this into CW. On whether this kind of question is allowable or not, please discuss in this meta discussion. To all, let's refrain from voting up/down in here until this becomes CW, just to not disturb the rep points ;)

@Axioplase If that 100 pages long sentence uses up all the particles in existence then I don't have any problem with giving it the maximum score. Repeated particles are not counted anyway.
    – Lukman
    Jul 6, 2011 at 4:45
    Sorry people, this is not even remotely "practical, answerable, and based on actual problems that you face."
    – Amanda S
    Jul 6, 2011 at 6:32
    @Amanda S: You don't even need to vote? Have you even participated in the meta discussion? meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/373/…
    – repecmps
    Jul 6, 2011 at 6:39
    This has been reopened! Thanks to the voters :)
    – Lukman
    Jul 7, 2011 at 1:57
    For future reference, if you would like a post made community wiki, you should flag it for moderator attention. I think it's a little counter-intuitive to have to flag you own post, but it makes it easy for a moderator to find, instead of relying on us to read your post down to its postscript. :o)
    – Amanda S
    Jul 7, 2011 at 5:00

2 Answers 2

(Some repeated particles have different roles.)

I added some unnecessary 「、」 to make the sentence a little more readable.

などと言うのは「ペット」と英語呼ばれるけど、僕はそんな動物いないのでなんか寂しい感じがする、お父さんは僕「毎日家から出て、学校行くなら、友達遊べることができるのさ」と言われて、キャンディーもらう、すぐ嬉しくなるわよね

や, など, と, の, は, で, けど, の, に, が, ので, なんか, が, に, から, へ, なら, と, の、 さ, を, と, わ, よ, ね

Obviously this can be longer but my imagination is limited.

"「よ、ね、な、で、に、へ、が、は、と、から、の、では、でも、のに、ので」は助詞です。" That could be even longer, but you get the point that it's going to be difficult to beat the concept :)

This is cheating. Maybe I'll add another rule to specifically disqualify sentences like this.
    – Lukman
    Jul 6, 2011 at 4:48
    @Lukman: changing the rules after you lost is cheating! :) And that could even be a perfectly valid sentence that may be found in a grammar book or a wikipedia page at the "particles" page!
    – Axioplase
    Jul 6, 2011 at 4:51
    Well, I'm calling it "fixing the security hole". People do it all the time ;)
    – Lukman
    Jul 6, 2011 at 4:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .